Title: 《29少IN上海》Twenty-nine Youngsters in Shanghai
Location: Shanghai Oriental Art Center
Date: 26-28 April 2013
Description: Twenty-nine junior performers of the Beijing Jingju Theater break all the records in Shanghai! Three days, three monstre jingju performances: young successors of every great Beijing Opera school occupy the stage in turns.
1. Full edition《白蛇传》Baishe Zhuan (Tale of the White Snake)
Don’t expect Tian Han’s newly written 1958 edition, but:
- Zhang Xinyue’s 张馨月 (Mei school)《游湖借伞》You Hu Jie San (Boating on the lake, lending the umbrella)
- Guo Wei’s 郭玮 (Cheng school)《索夫》Suo Fu (Searching for the Husband)
- Zhang Shujing’s 张淑景《水漫金山》Shui Man Jinshan (Flooding Jinshan), personally thought by Liu Xiurong 刘秀荣
- Dou Xiaoxuan’s 窦晓璇 (disciple of Du Jinfang)《断桥》Duanqiao (Broken Bridge)
- Rarity! Wu Haoyi’s 吴昊颐 Zhao school《合钵》He Bo (Imprisoned into the Copper Bowl), including the aria starting 亲儿的脸，吻儿的腮, better known as “小乖乖” (xiao guai guai), trademarked by Zhao Yanxia 赵燕侠. You can download the mp3 [HERE], worth to hear!
- Jiang Yishan’s 姜亦珊 (Zhang school)《祭塔》Ji Ta (Offering Sacrifice at the Pagoda)
Special treat for female spectators: Zhan Lei 詹磊 and Wei Xuelei 魏学雷 as Crane Boy and Deer Boy.
2. Full edition《伍子胥》Wu Zixu
This cast was a bit predictable: “Little 7″ Tan Zhengyan 谭正岩 (Tan school), Zhang Jianfeng 张建峰 (Xi school) and Yang Shaopeng 杨少彭 (Yang school) will perform in 《战樊城》Zhan Fancheng (The Battle of Fancheng),《长亭会》Changting Hui (Meeting in the Long Pavilion) and 《文昭关》Wen Zhaoguan (The Zhao Pass) respectively.
Many of these performers were her classmates, so although she’s not a member of the Beijing troupe, P.Y. Wang (Wang Peiyu ) couldn’t be left out, she will sing《鱼藏剑》Yu Cang Jian (Sword Hidden in a Fish).¹
There’s more! The famous part in the Zhao Pass when Wu Yun’s beard suddenly turns from black to grey then white, will be performed by three people: Yang Shaopeng, Zhang Jianfeng and Wang Peiyu. Each time Wu comes out of the tent, not only his beard but his portrayer also will be different.
3. Whole edition《红鬃烈马》Hong Zong Lie Ma (Red-maned Galloping Horse) – there wasn’t one in ten years! 6 hours long!
Ten acts will be staged with eight Pingguis and eight Baochuans, I don’t know exactly which ones. Even hardcore jingju fans hardly can sit six hours without a break, so the curtain will fall after each act, leaving the audience enough time to have a drink or to rub their rear ends. Naturally, hot water and tea will be available, as well as taxis after the performance which ends after midnight.
Article: Dongfang daily 2013-03-12 (Trivia question: based on the fact that Tan Zhengyan is 185 cm tall, estimate the height of Wang Peiyu!)
Let’s see who can I identify on this picture… Wei Xuelei, Cao Yangyang , Li Xiaopei, Liu Mingzhe, Du Zhe, Zhang Xinyue, Tan Zhengyan, Zhai Mo, Wang Pan, Zhang Kai, Wang Xiaoli, Fang Xu, Zhang Yun, Zhan Lei, Guo Wei, ? , Zhang Jianfeng , Zhang Shujing, Wang Yige, Mu Yu, Zheng Xiao, Dou Xiaoxuan, Yang Shaopeng, Qiu Jirong, Wu Haoyi, Chang Qiuyue, Yu Shuai. One mystery individual left.
¹ After discussing this matter several times, the final conclusion is that the titles《鱼藏剑》Yu Cang Jian (Sword Hidden in a Fish) and 《鱼肠剑》Yu Chang Jian (Fish Gut Sword) are both acceptable. I see the latter more often, but I personally like the other one better. Moreover, the fish dish they hide the blade in doesn’t contain any intestines of the fish. :P (This was just a joke of course.)